Moline council approves new restrictions on video gaming advertisements

https://ift.tt/2AWsxim



MOLINE — Video gaming establishments in the city face new restrictions that will limit the amount of advertising outside of their businesses.

An amendment to the ordinance passed on a 7-0 vote. Alderman Quentin Rodriguez was absent.   

• Effective now, video gaming establishments will no longer be able to add any new advertisements using billboards, box trucks, pamphlets fliers or ads to promote their business. 

• Effective July 1, 2019, the advertising previously mentioned will no longer be allowed at all, and no ads will be allowed on the windows of the establishment either.  

• Effective Jan. 1, 2023, video gaming establishments will be restricted to having only one building sign.

After the meeting, Mayor Stephanie Acri said that the council was at a consensus that the advertising for video gaming came on stronger than what was expected.

“We are trying to address both our concerns and the concerns of our constituents that the advertising is overwhelming and it is not something that supports the feel of Moline,” Acri said. 

Acri said she had a conversation with one owner who said they felt the ordinance change was a reasonable thing to do. 

“It is more of a marketing thing to get the business from the other businesses and so if they are all held to the same standard it should be a reasonable outcome for each one of those gaming license owners.” 

Another gaming issue will be returning to the council agenda in the coming weeks: changing the per-machine fee from $50 to $1,050. At the last meeting, council directed staff to draft an ordinance that would keep the fee per machine at $50 for the establishment owner but charge the owners of the machines themselves $1,000 per machine. 

“We are just looking to address the issue of gaming in Moline through this fee,” Acri said. “There is a funding advantage, and we are talking about how specifically to invest that money, maybe to offset some of the concerns. Maybe it will go towards streetscaping, maybe it will go towards something that enhances the feel of the community because there is some concern in the community that gaming does not present the right feel.”  

• City attorney Maureen Riggs announced that the city is now the proud owner of the former New Mandarin Chinese Restaurant, 4808 27th St. She said the city closed on the sale last week and will use the property for future south slope wastewater plant expansion. 

• Changes made earlier this year to address parking issues near the Western Illinois University-Quad Cities campus were made permanent on a 7-0 vote. Two-hour parking will be enforced in the Ben Butterworth Parkway lot numbers 3201 and 3301 between the hours of 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  

• In the committee-of-the-whole meeting, council members voted to approve the 2019 meeting schedule, but will be adding an additional four meetings to the calendar. Those dates are to be determined and will be presented to the council before a final vote is made. ​





via qconline.com – RSS Results in news/local/govt-and-politics of type article https://ift.tt/2t79iie

December 5, 2018 at 12:52AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s